Welcome, and thank you for reading Food in General! After years of tackling cooking and baking projects as a home cook, I decided to launch this blog as a way to document my adventures. My hope is that readers can learn from my successes and failures, and that together we can navigate this beautiful chaotic recipe collection we call the Internet.
Alison Mauldin, Editor
- Location: Charlotte, NC
- Favorite Foods: Popcorn, clementines, duck confit, chicken wings, grilled cheese and tomato soup
- Favorite Books: East of Eden, anything by Tana French, anything by Isabel Allende, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Grapes of Wrath, The Red Tent
- Favorite TV: Breaking Bad, Law and Order SVU, Elementary, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Nashville, Arrested Development, The West Wing, Seinfeld, Frasier
- Favorite Movies: Little Miss Sunshine, Inception, Baz Luhrman’s Romeo + Juliet, The Shawshank Redemption, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Indiana Jones Trilogy, The Big Lebowski
- Visit Alison: On Twitter @foodingeneral
- Alison’s Story: After growing up and attending college in North Carolina I moved with my husband to the West Coast, living for a time in Seattle, Washington and Los Angeles, California. I love the West Coast with its laid back atmosphere and stunning landscapes but I missed the changing seasons of the East Coast. Now I’m back in my beloved Old North State, finding myself, battling procrastination, playing with my dog, and anticipating the next change of season.
Mandy Smith-Thompson, Contributor
- Location: Frog Pond, NC
- Favorite Foods: Collards, cornbread, turnips & pintos, anything exotic or home grown or…let’s face it…dredged in cornmeal & fried to a crisp
- Favorite Books: The Secret Life of Bees, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Hunger Games Trilogy, The Help
- Favorite TV: Madmen, Call the Midwife, Tosh.0, Duck Dynasty (don’t judge), Anything on Food Network
- Favorite Movies: Dirty Dancing, Mystic Pizza, Shag, Steel Magnolias, Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, Bridesmaids, anything that makes me laugh, feel good or smarter
- Visit Mandy at My 2 Hands Crafts
- Mandy’s Story:I am a thirty-something creative in a love-hate relationship with the the place where I live. I am intrigued by wildlife and nature and see the importance of natural resource conservation, so I pay the bills working as a professional tree hugger. I’m hopelessly in love with my strong, silent, bearded husband with whom I work to rescue every sad stray that crosses our path…or gets dumped on our rural road. The bearded one just finished (rocked out) building our still-not-decorated dream home about 5 minutes from the place I grew up…what remains of my family’s former hog lot on the now sub-divided-and-passed-down farm that has been in my family for about 200 years. I’m the first person on my mom’s side of the family to earn a college degree. I dig proper grammar in text, but I make a conscious effort to hang onto my deep southern drawl and the colloquialisms of my kin people. I find my neck of the woods comforting and interesting and beautiful and ignorant and embarrassing all at the same time. I love the hot summers, hospitality, food, language and the folk ways of the rural south, and I hate the racism, sexism, ignorance and hatred in its past and present. I just realized I also like hyphens.